With coastlines spanning over 2,000 kilometres, Sabah is the largest seaweed-producing state in Malaysia. The state offers growth potential in the sector as the seaweed production quality is competitive over other players in the region. Local seaweed supply has the capacity to service new processing demands.
The main seaweed-producing areas in Sabah are mainly on the East coast, specifically the districts of Semporna, Tawau, Kunak, and Lahad Datu. Recently seaweed producing areas have expanded in the western region of the state.
Recent Investment Activity
- 1. Conservation hotspots of biodiversity and endemism for Indo-Pacific coral reef fishes https://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1002/aqc.880
- 2. FAO https://www.fao.org/3/y4765e/y4765e09.htm
- 3. FAO https://www.fao.org/3/ac287e/ac287e01.htm
- 4. https://www.marketsandmarkets.com/Market-Reports/commercial-seaweed-market-152763701.html
- 5. Mordor Intelligence https://www.mordorintelligence.com/industry-reports/commercial-seaweed-market#:~:text=The%20global%20commercial%20seaweed%20market%20is%20projected%20to%20grow%20with,forecast%20period%2C%202020%20%2D%202025.
- 6. https://www.grandviewresearch.com/industry-analysis/commercial-seaweed-market#:~:text=Today%2C%20China%2C%20Japan%2C%20and,U.S.%20along%20with%20South%20America.
- 7. The Roles of the Government Agencies in Managing the Seaweed Industry in Sabah, https://www.ums.edu.my/fpep/files/ECO_Others_4.pdf
- 8. Seaweed Market to be Worth $23.2 Billion by 2028 – Exclusive Report by Meticulous Research with COVID 19 Impact Analysis, www.globalnewswire.com, 13 Oct 2021
- 9. https://www.nst.com.my/business/2021/04/682829/australian-firm-teams-ums-commercialise-sea-grapes
Quantity and Value of Seaweed Production in Sabah
Source: Sabah Department of Fisheries