From beaches to mountains to rainforests, Sabah offers endless investment opportunities in tourism. The state’s large and growing tourism market offers significant opportunities for investment across a wide range of tourism activities and sectors. Its strategic location in the Northeast corner of Borneo, coupled with its tropical climate, rich cultural heritage, and reputation for hospitality has made Sabah a favourite vacation destination for millions of world travellers.
Through its accelerated COVID-19 vaccination rollout and travel bubbles, Malaysia is looking to promote domestic and international travel. Pent-up demand for outdoor destinations and experiences will reinvigorate tourism opportunities, and it is expected that Sabah will see a significant increase in tourist arrivals.
Recent Investment Activity
- 1. https://www.matta.org.my/news/57798-honour-for-sabah-cm
- 2. Sabah Ministry of Tourism, Arts and Culture, 2018 Hotelier
- 3. Sabah Ministry of Tourism, Arts and Culture
- 4. https://www.thestar.com.my/news/nation/2019/02/19/sabah-tourism-sets-new-record-in-2018-with-china-tourists-leading-charge/
- 5. Malaysia Airports Holdings Berhad
- 6. Airport Statistics 2019, Malaysia Airports Holdings Berhad
- 7. Sabah Tourism Board, Direct Domestic Scheduled Flight Frequency & Seat Capacity into Sabah 2019
- 8. Edge Markets https://www.theedgemarkets.com/article/motac-create-special-tourism-investment-zones-revitalise-tourism-malaysia-%E2%80%94-minister
- 9. Business Traveller https://www.businesstraveller.com/business-travel/2020/12/22/ihg-opens-first-property-in-east-malaysia/
- 10. Club Med https://www.clubmed.com.my/l/press-room/club-med-borneo-kota-kinabalu
- 11. The Edge Markets https://www.theedgemarkets.com/article/taiwans-largest-real-estate-company-plans-invest-over-rm1b-mengalum-island